AutoFarm3D Compatibility Checklist
AutoFarm3D has been designed such that most people can get up and running with minimal changes to their setup. However, there are some requirements that must be met in order for AutoFarm3D to work.
- Automation Ready Checklist
- Additional Compatibility Info
Automation Ready Checklist
Is your 3D print farm ready for AutoFarm3D? Make sure you can check all the boxes below before you get started.
Print Farm Requirements
- 3D Printers are FDM/FFF.
- 3D Printers have a USB port with communication capabilities.
- 3D Printers run Marlin 2 firmware.
- Stable internet access via ethernet.
- Your hub power supply is not connected to the same circuit as appliances that draw a lot of power (E.g. air conditioning, space heaters, etc.)
For Raspberry Pi 4 users:
- Your hub has a stable 3A 5V power supply
Skills & Knowledge
- You know how to slice models for your 3D printers.
- You know how to do basic 3D printer maintenance (leveling, Z offset, loading filament, basic troubleshooting.)
- Automated 3D printing is different from manual 3D printing. Be prepared to learn new skills and approach AutoFarm3D with an open mind.
- Shift your mindset to automation. Emphasize reliability and consistency over print speed.
- Reach out for support if you need help. Every farm is different, and we're here to help you get the most out of AutoFarm3D.
- Expect a new level of productivity and organization. Once AutoFarm3D is dialed in, your production will be streamlined, and you will be free to focus on growing your business.
3DQue Approved 3D Printers
- Prusa MK3/S/+
- Prusa MINI
- Artillery Sidewinder X1/X2
- Artillery Genius/Pro
- Ender 3 S1
- Ender 3/Pro/V2
These 3D printers have been tested and verified to work with AutoFarm3D. If your printer is not on this list, we won't be able to provide support for it. However, you may still be able to use AutoFarm3D with your printer. Please contact us for more information.
For additional compatibility information, check out the next tab.
Mods & Upgrades?
We suggest using 3D printers that don't require upgrades, but we understand that many people have already upgraded their printers.AutoFarm3D is compatible with most common mods and upgrades. As long as you're running Marlin 2 firmware, you should be good. If you're unsure, please contact us.
- Does your printer run Marlin 2 firmware?
AutoFarm3D is fully compatible with Marlin 2 Firmware. Most printers ship with Marlin 2 firmware, but some older printers may still be running Marlin 1.
If your printer is still on Marlin 1, we strongly recommend updating to a stable version of Marlin 2 otherwise we can't guarantee stable long-term reliability.
Klipper and RepRap firmware are not currently supported.
List of Marlin 1 issues
Unique ID Incompatibility
Every time a printer running Marlin 1 connects via USB, it declares itself as a unique machine. This makes it impossible to tell printers apart. Marlin 2 allows AutoFarm3D to get a "fingerprint" for the printer so it can be identified even when moved to a different hub, or turned off and on.
Missing Advanced Firmware Reporting (M115)
Marlin 1 only reports extremely basic information about the printer's firmware through USB. Marlin 2 reports many more details
Fundamental USB communication issues
Marlin 1 has a fundamental flaw that allows multiple messages to be sent through the USB port at the same time. This means that USB acknowledgements (
ok) and temperature reports(
t:220.00 /220.00 b:61.13 /60.00 @:50 b@:0) can (very occasionally) be sent at the same time, resulting in an garbled mess that looks something like this:
t:2o2k0.00 /2ok20.00 b:61.13 /60.00 @:50 ob@:0k
In short, please update to Marlin 2! Contact us if you need help.
Prusa MK3S and MINI are fully supported, just make sure you update to Prusa's latest official firmware. Update here
- Stable internet access via ethernet(recommended) or WiFi.
- At least 20 MB/s download speed, 5 MB/s upload speed (for remote monitoring and automatic updates)
AutoFarm3D needs to be able to connect to your 3D printers over your local network. This can be done over either ethernet or WiFi. Ethernet is recommended for the most reliable connection.
Local Installation (No internet, no cloud)
AutoFarm3D can be manually set up to run on your local network while keeping it completely disconnected from the internet. If you want to set up AutoFarm3D this way, please contact us and we will provide you with the necessary files and instructions.
The Print Farm Hub sold on our website comes with everything you need to get connected. It has a WiFi adapter (2.4G and 5G compatible), ethernet, and a 3A, 5V power supply.
- Phyiscal access to a router or network switch
- Your Print Farm Hubs have an ethernet port (Rock64, Raspberry Pi 4, 3B+, 3B)
- Your hub has a WiFi adapter (Print Farm Hub, Raspberry Pi 4, 3B+, 3B, and other Raspberry Pi models with WiFi)
- Print Farm hubs, Raspberry Pi 4 and 3B+ support 2.4G and 5G Wifi
- Raspberry Pi 3B requires 2.4G Wifi
- Other Raspberry Pi models please check for WiFi compatibility.
If your network is a corporate network (E.g. not a standard home wifi system, your workplace has an IT team, you're a school/university, you work in a shared workplace, etc.), please contact 3DQue support for setup assistance.
- Your hub has a stable 3A 5V power supply (Print Farm Hub, Raspberry Pi 4, 3B+, 3B)
- Your hub is not on the same circuit as appliances that draw a lot of power (E.g. air conditioning, heaters, etc.)
An uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) is highly recommended, as momentary dips in power can cause hubs to reboot and stop prints without warning. Make sure to power hubs and printers from the UPS.
- USB webcam or Raspberry Pi Camera
AutoFarm3D can use a webcam to detect when a print has failed. This is optional, but highly recommended. Please see the webcam setup guide for more information.
- USB Webcams: Almost all USB webcams are compatible.
- Raspberry Pi Cam: If you're using a Raspberry Pi, you may connect a Raspberry Pi Camera instead of a USB webcam.
- IP cameras: IP cameras are not officially supported.
You need at least 2GB of RAM to run a webcam reliably with AutoFarm3D.
If you're using a Raspberry Pi 3B or 3B+, webcams are not recommended because they will result in performance issues.
Does my 3D printer run Marlin firmware?
Almost all consumer-level (sub-$2000) FDM 3D printers run Marlin firmware. For the most reliable experience, please update your printers to the most recent, stable version of Marlin 2.1
If you don't know what firmware your 3D printer has, check the "about printer" section on the LCD menu of your printer. If you need help, you can send us an email or ask on our Discord server.
What version of Marlin is supported?
Marlin 2 is the officially recommended firmware for AutoFarm3D. Marlin 1 has fundamental issues that make long-term USB connections unstable, resulting in very occasional and intermittent data corruption. Marlin 1 will still work with AutoFarm3D, but we highly recommend updating your printer firmware to the most recent, stable version of Marlin 2.1 for the most reliable 3D printing experience.
Marlin versions over 3 years old are likely to be missing fundamental features that make reliable USB communication possible. It may appear to work fine, but over time it may intermittently disconnect, skip gcode commands, or even crash Marlin randomly. Proceed at your own risk. You can check your Marlin version and age by sending M115 through the gcode console, or using a program such as pronterface.
What about Klipper or RepRapFirmware?
Supporting these firmwares isn't currently a priority, but we may support them in the future. If you want AutoFarm3D to be compatible with Klipper or RRF, then let us know.
What about Bambu Lab X1C/P1P?
It is impossible for us to exhaustively test every single print farm configuration, so there might be some cases where you should have plug-and-play compatibility, but it doesn't work as expected.
If you're having trouble getting set up with AutoFarm3D, please send us an email, or ask for help on our Discord server.